We undertook the complete refurbishment of an existing 1920’s single screen cinema, which had been derelict for over fifteen years. We created a three screen cinema, with lounge and bar areas. In addition we restored the original 1920s’ features to create an opulent and exciting environment.
Substantial structural works were required involving the construction of a steel and concrete mezzanine floor for Screen 1, with excavations of the existing ground floor structure to allow the formation of screens 2 and 3. Propping of the buttress walls was necessary to allow the formation of the new staircases.
The client’s objective is to provide comfort and luxury hospitality in their cinemas. We delivered this through the fit-out, which included feature ceilings and lighting, bespoke joinery, hard and soft floor finishes, as well as acoustic floors, walls and ceilings, and full redecoration. In addition, to embrace the 1920s’ architecture, we restored the existing marble columns and steps externally, the existing ceiling to the entrance and bar areas, and the existing Terrazzo staircase. We also installed a new passenger lift and disabled platform lift, which required us to cut through the existing building structure.
The programme was delivered within 25 weeks, coming in on time and to budget.